Chiropractic Care | The Benefits of Working Out Outside
Chiropractic Care | It is no secret that exercise is beneficial for your body and your health. However, did you know that working out outside provides additional benefits? Now that the warmer weather has arrived, switch out the gym for some fresh air. This article will discuss the the top 8 benefits of exercising outside and why getting fresh air is so beneficial to your health.
- You can move quicker- When you are walking or running outside you have better control of your pace. Interestingly enough, people tend to move a little faster outside compared to when they are indoors on a treadmill.
- Moving outside is easier- Research has found that moving outside not only increases your speed, but participants also reported that they felt like their exercise routine was easier to complete.
- New perception, new limits- Since working out outside gives individuals the perception that exercise is easier, it also helps individuals to push harder and increase their exercise intensity. In addition, when an activity is perceived as easier, it is also more enjoyable.
- Increased joy- Exercise already provides a sense of joy, however participating in exercise in fresh air and greenery also gives you the opportunity to engage with other people. Participating in exercise with others provides a sense of comradery and has been shown to increase enjoyment and social motivation.
- A new feeling of revitalization- Recent studies have shown that physical activities performed in a natural environment can help improve feelings of positivity. This also provides a sense of rejuvenation and energy.
- Fresh air is better for your physical health- Studies have shown that being in the great outdoors, specifically in green spaces better support your physical health both subjectively and objectively. What does this mean? Well, your entire well-being, heart health, immune system, and recovery time all positively benefit from being around green environments.
- Better self-esteem- Working out in green spaces has also shown to improve overall mood and self-esteem. Exercising in green areas help to reduce negative moods, anxiety, tension, and anger.
- Improved mental health- Being surrounded by natural spaces boosts your well-being. Your general mental health is enhanced as studies have shown that it helps to decrease stress, anxiety, and depression.
While all types of physical activity are beneficial for your health, the added benefit that working out in natural spaces is too good to pass up. Now that spring is here and the warmer weather has arrived, take advantage of the health benefits that nature has to offer you. Here are some easy ways to enjoy the great doors while being physically active.
Ways to increase physical activity outside:
- Go hiking
- Kayak, canoe, row
- Explore natural parks
- Play tennis
- Outside yoga
- Join a recreational sports league
- Outdoor fitness boot camp
If you are interested in increasing your physical activity, but are suffering from pain, need chiropractic care or an injury, consider a consult with a chiropractic doctor Shawnee, KS who can help create a healing treatment plan for you. Chiropractors are trained in providing treatment plans to help manage pain and heal injuries in a holistic manner.
Thanks to LifeWorks for their insights on the benefits of working out outside, as well as alternative medicine.