Spring has arrived and with the beautiful warmer weather also comes the annual spring cleaning routine. Cleaning may seem like a chore, but it doesn’t have to be. Spring cleaning is a great way to add a little bit more physical activity into your daily routine. Here are some tips to turn your same old cleaning routine into a fun workout for your body.
- Put on your favorite tunes- Don’t clean in silence, put on some of your favorite tunes that make you want to move. Choose tunes that set a good pace for movement and that make you want to move your body. Believe it or not a quick pace cleaning workout can increase your heart rate and add a cardiovascular element into your workout.
- Engage your abs- You don’t need to do crunches to get a core workout. Tightening your abdominal muscles while you clean helps you build your muscles and supports your back.
- Lengthen typical movements- Cleaning a mirror from left to right can become a workout when you extend and lengthen your movements. Washing your car, windows, or table can become an exercise for your arms, shoulders and back.
- Add stairs- If you live in an apartment building or have stairs in your home, take advantage of this built in stair master. Take the stairs when you carry supplies, groceries or laundry.
- Use a broom- There are a lot of appliances that make cleaning easier, however brooms, mops, and dusters are great for getting extra movement in while you clean.
- Squat- When you are cleaning you are constantly reaching and bending. It doesn’t matter what you are cleaning, turn it into a squatting exercise. Squatting is a great way to engage your glutes, and hamstrings. Remember to always use proper form when you are squatting.
- Add a lunge when you vacuum- This may sound silly, but adding lunges in while you vacuum adds a great lower-body strengthening exercise. Don’t forget to keep good form and switch legs when you lunge.
- Add in those calf raises- Elevate your workout by adding in calf raises when you are pruning top branches or cleaning higher shelves.
Adding in a few simple extra movements during your spring cleaning can really pump up your cleaning routine into a workout. Spring cleaning doesn’t need to be mundane or boring, it can be a fun, fast pace activity. It is always important to remember to use good form whenever exercising or participating in any physical activity. Always engage your abs, and make sure that your back is supported appropriately.
Spring cleaning is a great way to get in some low compact activity. If you are interested in increasing your physical activity, but are suffering from pain or an injury, consider a consult with a chiropractic doctor Shawnee, KS who can help create a healing treatment plan for you. Chiropractors are trained in providing treatment plans to help manage pain and heal injuries in a holistic manner.
Thanks to LifeWorks for their insights on how to turn spring cleaning into a workout, as well as alternative medicine.